January 23 2017 Monday 08:15 AM
Modified Date 23-Jan-2017

“We are putting the gang back together again” Blue brothers

In 1980 a fascinating movie appeared, called the Blues Brothers. In the movie they has some of the leading soul singers of all times, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, to name a few.  One of the classic lines of all times was “We are putting the gang back together again”.  At the end of 2016 our global network was pleased as we established the first and only research methods library, a journal,  Multilingual Euclid’s Matrix. Also we became experts in crossing the Atlantic It was an exciting time. However in November 2016 we could see the “writing on the wall”, as all funding was about to dry up Jan.  Miraculously at Christmas, Dr. Serageldin at the library was able to identify partial resources and the American Statistical Society provided additional support.

All the time we have been promoting the library Fritz Scheuren suggested that we do a second statistics book voyage.  Sending 10,000 books to Alexandria is very expensive, and I frankly did not see much hope.  However, despite the economic difficulties in Egypt, Dr. Serageldin indicated that he would find the money to send the books for the library of Alexandria.  Yet another miracle! And we are ready to go.

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library” (Borges)

We would love if you could donate your research methods books to the Library of Alexandria.  It is interesting that this week I found  the statistics book I used as a junior in College, 46 years ago, it has not been opened for 45 years, rather it was lying fallow, collecting dust and book worms.  It would be better used by a Medical Student in Nigeria or Albania.

It was really remarkable that we collected and shipped 6711 books in the first voyage of the Sealand Washington. Now we are striving for 10,000.  For those in statistics, many of you will hear from Fritz.  We are targeting late june, early july.  Please contact me, Ronlaporte@gmail.com if you would like to donate.

“The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may yet have hope for the future of man”  (Elliot)

Faina made an important point.  The book library in Alexandria will primarily be used by people coming to the library.  However, the Seragedlin Research Methods book library is a permanent anchor for our virtual library, and  our million person network. It also ties experts like you directly to the library, and Euclid.

“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.”  (Einstein)

For those who cannot donate at this time, there are other things you can do to promote this effort.  We are asking the librarians to marry those in research.  A problem with almost every library is that few of the staff are trained in statistics.  Therefore young researchers cannot go to libraries to answer their questions.  We are therefore asking libraries to put a link to the BA Serageldin Library.  Also, the Library of Alexandria has created a beautiful button that be posted in a library or your department or school.  If you need help including a link to your library, please contact Evgeniy Shubnikov, M.D.  EvgeniyShubnikov@gmail.com in Russia and he will help you.

Professor Emeritus:  Please contact all the retired professors you know, and ask them to contribute. Have them contact me at ronaldlaporte@gmail.com

We have already told about a million faculty about the BA Serageldin Euclid Library.  Please tell your faculty.  Also, suggest that in there courses they include the library as a source for statistical help.

We were planning to come to the JSM and submitted a program.  Sadly we were turned down.

UAB  short course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research” at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Mon 7/24/2017 - Fri 7/28/2017. Obesity is a major problem for which much progress in understanding, treatment, and prevention remains to be made. Developing a greater understanding of obesity’s causes, requires input from diverse disciplines. The nine course modules  provides  exposure to  fundamental principles underlying an array of techniques. For full details of the course, at https://www.uab.edu/shp/home/energetics/courses/causal-inference-shortcourse/third

Recent Questions

Mohamed.A 1 answers 0 votes

Edna 1 answers 0 votes

Mohamed.A 1 answers 1 votes

Karim.M.Elsayed 1 answers 2 votes